Monday, May 3, 2010

Let it RAIN!

Liberia has two seasons- rainy season and dry season. Rainy season is normally June thru October and dry season is typically November thru May. Holly and I arrived in August, smack dab in the middle of rainy season. Over the last 8 ½ months I have come to like and dislike several things about both seasons.

The rain brings bugs, and I mean lots of bugs. Now I have never really been “scared” of bugs, but the bugs here are different than any bug I have seen at home. The spiders are the size of my hand. Large cockroaches fly right in front of your face. There are beetles bigger than golf balls. There are multiple winged bugs that are attracted to the lights around and in our house that range in size. The moths might as well be birds. The praying mantis’s can find comfort on just about any wall or screen. And the ants… they just never ever go away, no matter how much bug spray we use. Normally I would probably be fascinated with these bugs, but during rainy season they think that my home is their home, and that is when I draw the line.

Rainy season also brings cooler weather, and by cool I mean in the low 80’s or on a good day the upper 70’s. This makes for a comfortable nights sleep underneath my sheet. There is also nothing like going to sleep to an African thunderstorm (yes, I am still convinced that the thunderstorms are different here).

Rainy season also endures at least 4 months of abundant, clean water. For some children it even means an easy bath! After experiencing 6 months of dry season, I have a greater appreciation for the rain. It means full wells and water towers, enough water at the pumps for everyone in the community to use and have access to. It also means CLEAN water to drink, bathe, wash, and cook with. Water really is life!

Rain= Mosquitoes., which means MALARIA. Malaria is a harsh reality on the continent of Africa. It is a disease that for some can lead to death. Although malaria is very inexpensive to treat, most families living in poverty do not have access to good medicine or the money to afford it. Fortunately, most of the students at Ricks have access to healthy treatment, but that does not reduce the number of cases. During the course of this school year, 90% of my students have been out with malaria. For some with mild cases, they are back in school after 3 days. Those with more severe cases can be out for weeks at a time. Malaria affects everyone in Liberia, but with money and resources it can be prevented and treated.

Although the rain does not prevent children in Liberia from playing, it does put a damper on outdoor fun and learning. For the first few months of school I kept praying for a day with no rain, so that I could take my class outside. I wanted to be able to escape the dark, concrete classroom and do something active. That day didn’t come until early October, but when it did I welcomed it with open arms.

Holly and I have experienced an entire dry season in Liberia. We made it! The things that I like about dry season are basketball practices and games, beach days, outdoor events, playing with kids, and simply being dry. We survived the African heat and the obnoxious amount of sweat, but bring on the rain. After much time without running water, only one pump on campus with water, and lots of sunburn, we are thankful to be welcoming back rainy season.

No comments:

Post a Comment