Friday, October 9, 2009

Pass or Fail?

The school year is broken up into 6 marking periods. At the end of each marking period there is an entire week of testing. The junior and senior high students take their tests on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The elementary students take their tests on Tuesday and Thursday. This week was testing week, so my students only came to school on Tuesday and Thursday. They had a test in Language Arts, Social Studies, Math, and Science. The days they do not come to school are supposed to be “study days.”

These tests make up 50% of the students grade. The other 50% is broken down by Quizes (15%), Assignments (15%), Participation (10%), and Attendance (10%). There are a lot of frustrating things about this grading system that I am still trying to understand. For example… their assignment grade is the average of 4 assignments. Assignments include class work and homework. If I have 10 assignments in one period, I am supposed to select the student’s top 4 assignments. If I have a student that gets a 100% on all ten assignments, clearly they deserve a 100% for their average. But if I have a student that failed 2 assignments, didn’t do 4 homework assignments, but got a 100% on the other 4, they clearly do not deserve a 100% for their average. This makes things tricky when I have to take the top 4 scores. In my opinion, it is not fair to the student that completes all their homework and does their best on assignments in class. I am still trying to understand this, while assessing my students fairly. So far, it has been a struggle.

I have been trying every day to find a way to motivate and encourage my students. I am surprised every day by the students that stay to get help on their homework or to ask me a question about something they did not understand in class. We spent last week reviewing for all of their tests this week. I made sure to give them every piece of information they needed to get at 100% on the test. The rest of it was in their hands. I knew that I would have some that would not study, and I continue to have some that don’t care. Although that makes me really sad and disappointed, there is not a lot I can do to change that.

Before each test the students say the honor code, which is “I promise that though out this test, I will not cheat, spy, ask for assistance, or share my answers with anyone. Any act contrary will lead to my immediate expulsion.” Yes, if they get caught cheating, they are expelled. Rick’s holds very high standards and has zero tolerance for cheating. Fortunately, none of my students cheated!

I was so nervous and excited to grade their tests. I was so proud to see so many 100’s! I can’t wait to see their faces when they get their test back with a big sticker! They love stickers!! I did have about 3 students in each subject area that failed, but it was because they didn’t study or made careless mistakes. Hopefully this will be a learning opportunity for those students, and they will try a little harder next time. Even with a few failed tests, ALL of my students passed every subject area!! I am so proud of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment