Friday, October 30, 2009

Swimming, Basketball, and Bible Study... What A Great Week!

After a long and exhausting week, we got to spend all day Sunday relaxing at the Kendeja Resort. We went with Ottolee, her two children, and her mother. The resort has a special on Sundays for $25, that includes all day at the pool and unlimited access to the buffet. It is a great deal! We got to walk down on the beach, swim in the pool, and eat good food all day long. It is definitely what we needed after the week that we had.

On Tuesday, we took the girls and boys basketball team to Monrovia to compete in the Super Cup Tournament. After a good fight, the boys were defeated 60-66. I was so proud of the girls, who played an awesome game, and won 37-25. We have been working so hard to prepare for this tournament, and it all paid off. The girls played their hearts out, and fought until the very end. Isatta, one of our post players, made a shot at the buzzer, and the crowed went crazy. The team ran to the center of the court and celebrated together. I felt like I was re-living my high school days of competitive sports. Coaching the girls basketball team has been a very fun and rewarding part of my ministry here at Ricks. I am really enjoying building relationships with the girls, and investing in their lives on and off the court. Next Friday, November 6th, we will compete in the finals. We are playing a very good team that the girls lost to last year. Despite the nervousness of the girls and the coaches, I think we have the ability to bring home the trophy this year!

On Thursday night, we had bible study with the other women who live on Ricks campus. This was our third time attending. It has been a great way for us to form relationships with the women. We normally start by singing two songs (some hymns and some African songs), then have a time of prayer. Sometimes this can take an hour. Then someone delivers a short message from a particular passage of scripture. We have been talking a lot about different women in the bible, and how their stories can relate to our lives. Then we take up an offering. As we give our money, we also recite a scripture verse of our choice. We close the evening with more singing and prayer. I have enjoyed being a part of this group, but there are definitely times when a 2 1/2 hour bible study can be exhausting. This is another different experience that I am grateful for, but it has definitely taken an open mind and open heart. The best part about this weekly bible study has been the friendships that we are forming with the women!

Now it is Friday, and another week is over. Only 2 more weeks left of instruction in the second marking period! I am definitely ready for the weekend, and a break from waking up at 4:40am. Next week is going to be busy, and hopefully just as good as this week!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ann Elizabeth, i think you are doing a great job with the girls basketball team. I was so glad when i heard that they won their game and i know exactly whats going through their minds as they anticipate another finals with Don Bosco. Just keep doing what you are doing and i am sure that they will bring home the trophy. Reading yours and Holly's Blog is the one thing that helps me when i am home sick especially when i see the pictures. I am glad that you all are having this experience and maybe when you get back we can all sit and talk about Ricks. My best wishes to the girls and my prayers is always with you.

    James Himie Blay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey James!

    Thank you so much for your encouragement! The girls are doing great, and have been so much fun to coach. I LOVE basketball, and coaching lets me kind of re-live the days when I used to play. The girls have come a long way, thanks to the foundation you helped them establish. I have really enjoyed getting to know them, and develop friendships with them. They do not know about the skype session we have planned with you on Thursday. I know it will be an awesome surprise for them. I know they miss you. Cavender told me to tell you hello. We look forward to seeing you and hearing your voice on Thursday night!! Go Dragons!!

    Oh, and we will definitely get together when we get back!

    AE

    ReplyDelete