Thursday, October 22, 2009

There are bound to be bad days...

The last two days have been very emotionally and physically draining. I think part of it is that we have been here for 2 months, and the excitement of being in a new place is slowly going away. This is starting to become home, and along with that comes all the “real life” emotions. It is hard to explain, but hopefully you get my point. We are beginning to experience some of the difficulties that are a part of ministry.

Some unexpected things have happened in the last few days that have just kind of caught us off guard. I find myself trying to be understanding and patient, but some days it is very hard.

Olu has been in the US for the last ten days, and the flow of things just seems off without him here. Holly and I are trying to deal with a problem that has been frustrating and out of our control, but fortunately we were able to get in touch with Olu for some advice. Although I cannot share this situation with you at the time, please pray that everything will work out, and that we won’t be faced with this issue again.

I am also learning that no matter where you go in the world, you will agree with some people and disagree with others. I wish we could just agree to disagree in all situations, but sometimes that is not possible. Please pray that I will be able to put myself in others shoes, and see from their perspective.

I think that these things have also caused me to get a little homesick. I think some of it is culture shock, and the fact that life really is so different here. I really thought this would hit when we first got here, but as we have gotten settled, things have become a little more challenging. Also, one of my best friends is getting married this weekend, and it is hard being away when all of my friends are celebrating together.

I knew that these things were going to happen while we were here, but there was really nothing to prepare me for it. I am learning a lot from this, but it is still not easy. Please keep praying that God will continue to show and remind us of our purpose here.

I know that I will be out of this slump soon, and that we will fall back into more slumps this year. It is a good thing that the good days make this all worth it! I guess that is just a part of ministry! Whew!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Ms. McInvale. I miss you, so mommy looked you up on the computer. There you were! We have read some of your page. I know you have the best class in Liberia because you are my favorite teacher.

    I have been practing my reading. I have been reading lots of Junie B. Jones. What do your students read? We saw them at the computer on your page. They look smart.

    My best friend lives in Zambia. They moved there so her daddy could help people feel better. He is a doctor. Mommy let me see Liberia on the map. It is far away from my friend, but you are both in Africa!

    I lost four teeth, two on top. I look different. I cut my hair for Locks of Love.

    Mrs. Jones is my teacher. None of the kids from my class last year are in my class this year. I am meeting new friends. Fred is not at our school. I miss him so much. I see him on your page. I see Madison and Johanna every day at school at lunch and PE. They are my friends. We are in Girl Scouts together.

    I love you, Ms. McInvale. I miss you. We will pray for you and your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The message from becky is from Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joy!

    I miss you too! I am so glad that you are practicing your reading. You are a GREAT reader! Junie B. Jones is one of my favorite book series. There are some girls in my class that like Junie B. Jones too. My students really like Dr. Suess.

    I remember you telling me about your friend in Zambia. That is so exciting! You are right- we are pretty far away from each other, but still in Africa!

    I can't believe you have lost 4 teeth! That means you are growing up really fast! I bet you will have lots of grown up teeth when I get back. I am proud of you for doing locks of love. I donated my hair to locks for love when I was in high school.

    I am so glad you are making new friends! I bet you love Mrs. Jones! She is a great teacher. I know you miss Fred. I miss him too!

    Thank you for praying for me Joy. I am having a wonderful time. I miss you and love you too!

    ReplyDelete