Monday, October 12, 2009

Thunderstorms, Sunsets, and Pineapple... Some things are just different in Liberia!

All the students were home, campus was quiet, and there was not much to do this past weekend. Sometimes weekends like this can be relaxing, but for a busy body like me, it can get boring. Not having anything scheduled to do forced me to do a lot of processing.

Saturday night there was a beautiful sunset. The sky was a mix of blue, orange, and pink, with the silhouette of palm trees. It was a breathtaking moment, and Holly and I both got out our cameras, hoping to capture the beauty. The picture can't even begin to compare to the real thing. I felt like I was seeing a sunset for the first time, although I have seen hundreds before. Something was different on this night, but I don't know how to begin to describe it to you. There was a peaceful stillness, like everything in the world had stopped. For about 30 seconds I was in total and complete awe.

On Sunday afternoon there was a huge thunderstorm. Holly and I both sat in our room, watching the gray clouds roll in. We opened all of the curtains, and just sat in silence. The clouds appeared to be coming in from the coast, and gradually got darker as they circled around us. The thunder was louder than any thunder I have heard before, and it lasted for 30 seconds at a time. Finally, we heard the rain in the distance, getting louder as it got closer to us. Then it just poured for about 45 minutes. Holly read her book, and I couldn't take my eyes off of the storm. We have seen lots of rain since we have been here, but very few thunderstorms. It reminded me a lot of home, but yet there was still something different. Maybe it was the first time that I had stopped to just enjoy the rain, or maybe it was the fact that our windows were open and it was so loud. I don't know, but it was so relaxing and peaceful.

After the rain stopped yesterday, we were greeted with a knock on the door and a large plate of pineapple. We had heard so much about the pineapple in Liberia, and had been eager to try it for week. It is one of my favorite fruits! We mentioned this to Olu and Ottolee last week, and sure enough, a few days later, they had some sent to us. It was sliced into the largest circles of pineapple that I have ever seen. It was so sweet and refreshing! Although I have had plenty of pineapple in my life, this was better! To say that we have enjoyed it is probably an understatement. We have only had it for a day, and it is almost gone!

Somehow, this uneventful, "boring"weekend, turned into a much needed weekend of renewal. I was still very ready for Monday, but I am grateful for the experiences that don't happen very often.

Now I am off to go watch little boys climb palm trees, with their bare hands and feet, to get coconuts!

1 comment:

  1. I love rain storms,It's like God's way of cleaning, the smells are great and FLA. has some amazing ones, but I wish I could have been there, but you made me feel very close, thanks for the story, take care, I smell the Pineapple Too l

    ReplyDelete