Sunday, September 13, 2009

Another little piece of my heart!


How can this little face not make your heart melt? I see faces like this one countless times every day. On this particular day, I was sitting underneath the porch of the clinic on campus. It was pouring down rain. I decided just to sit down and wait a little while for the rain to let up some. Four little girls ran over to me, soaking wet. This little girl just clung to my side. They were laughing, and smiling from ear to ear. We sang songs, and talked about school. The girls were all fascinated with my hair. The four of them divided my hair into 4 sections and played with it for about an hour. I just sat there as they all pulled in opposite directions, my head moving from side to side. I told them a number of times to be easy or that all my hair would fall out. In response to that, the little girl in the picture above said, "no, your hair is plenty". I laughed. As much as it began to hurt, I couldn't make them stop. Their giggles somehow made the hair falling out my head not feel so bad, haha. After my hair was in about 8 braids and ultimately one big knot, they decided they were finished. They sat down next to me and became very intrigued with my camera. They loved seeing themselves on the screen, after I took their picture. It has been the moments like these that have really left an imprint on my heart. 

Telling stories, taking pictures, a small piece of candy, playing with my hair, singing songs, coloring, using a computer, reading a book, a hug... These things light up their world. It is the joy in the children's faces that completely leaves me speechless. Even with so little, they are so happy. It doesn't take the newest Vera Bradley bag, Wii game, or name-brand clothes to make them happy. Some of these children wear shoes that are 4 sizes too small and clothes that are torn, but they are happy! This happiness is something that is hard for most of us to understand. It is not based on money or material possessions. Most of these children don't have a lot of either one of those. It is based off relationships, individual attention, and LOVE. And it is so REAL! The spirit of the children is so contagious. It is so genuine and authentic. Every time I hold them, play with them, teach them, sing with them, and talk with them, they take another little piece of my heart! 

No comments:

Post a Comment