Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The First Day of School!!

Today was the day that I have been looking forward to for the last 6 months. Holly and I were up before the sun, eating breakfast in bed, trying to predict just how amazing the day was going to be. We walked up to the school at 7:15am, and the students gathered at the flag pole at 7:30am. They lined up according to grade level and the entire school body recited the pledge to the flag, and sang the school song and the national anthem. From there we all went into the auditorium, where we had devotions and several announcements from Rev. Menjay (the principal). This is standard procedure for every morning at Rick's Institute. 

Normally first period begins at 8:15am, but this morning the assembly went until about 9:30am. When the students began trickling into the classroom, my heart began to beat with excitement. The 26 (soon to be closer to 30) students sitting before me, were wide-eyed and ready to go! I felt this amazing rush of emotions, and couldn't help but smile. At that moment I knew that I am in the place that God wants me to be. 

I spent the next hour doing introductions (it is going to be a challenge to learn all these names), and going over rules and procedures. I also did an initial assessment in Math and Language Arts, just to see the instructional level of the students. From 10:55-11:40am, they went to recess. This is a time for them to go play with their friends, go get a snack, or catch up on any school work. This is also a break for the teachers. After recess, the elementary classes just have one more period. I spent the last 40 minutes of the day getting to know my students. I read the book You Are Special, by Max Lucado. I wanted each one of them to leave the classroom today knowing that they were individually created by God, who loves them for who they are. They each wrote down 3 things that make them special. The students shared these with the class, and we hung them in the room. I told them that those things are what make our 2nd grade class special. They enjoyed being a part of decorating the room, and I hope they left empowered. I can't wait for tomorrow!


2 comments:

  1. AE! I read the last paragraph out loud to Mindy this morning, and we both are in awe of the skill God has given you. You truly are an amazing teacher and the kids at Rick's are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Em! I really do LOVE my class. It is very challenging, but also very rewarding. Love you!

    ReplyDelete