Friday, September 11, 2009

Back to School Jam!

Today was a very long and exciting day! School ended at 10:55 am, which is when Recess starts. The students, teachers, staff, and families that live on Rick's campus, all made their way to the sports field. Today was the kick off of all the sporting events at the school. The old students played the new students. This is a tradition at Rick's Institute. We started with the girls kickball team. Kickball is played a little differently here, and is very competitive. The girls were so much fun to watch. The new girls actually won! Right as the boys soccer game was about to start, it began to rain really hard. So... soccer and basketball are being moved to Monday. I am really excited about watching the girls play basketball. Hopefully this will give Holly and I an idea of where to start with our first practice. 

After a long day of sports and rain, Holly and I ate lunch with the students in the dining hall. I enjoyed meeting more of the older students. After lunch we came back to the house, and I took a nap. 

At about 7:00 pm, the party started! Tonight was the Back to School Jam! The students paid $20 Liberian dollars for their ticket. This is roughly equivalent to $0.30 in US dollars. The auditorium was packed with students and teachers. We danced and sang for hours. It was very much like a talent show/school dance. The teachers participated too. Holly and I taught everyone the cupid shuffle. They loved it! Tonight was kind of the ice breaker for me. It was a chance to just kick back and have fun with the students. I felt like I was back in middle school. We were up on stage dancing most of the night. It was a lot of fun, and a great work out! Now I am tired, and ready for the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment