Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Question "WHY?"

Even into my adulthood, I find myself asking this question... Why?

On Wednesday evening I started getting a cold, and got really congested. For the next four days I was all stopped up, and taking medicine. Holly probably wanted to throw something at me when I was sleeping because I was breathing so loud. What became annoying were the nose bleeds. I was having 3 to 4 a day. Why? I wish I knew. Yesterday it started gushing while I was teaching. It was a moment of frustration and embarrassment. Fortunately, I have not had one since.

This morning, during the school wide assembly, Olu made an announcement that was absolutely heartbreaking. Last year there was a 20 year old, 9th grade student that got chicken pox. She became very ill, and eventually had to be hospitalized. Her health became a problem, and she was no longer able to go to school. Olu told us that this student had remained in Liberia during the civil war, and lived in a small village. She was separated from her father. When the war was over, she reconnected with her father and brother who are now in the US. Her mom passed away shortly after. Olu announced this morning that she was at home on Sunday, and seemed to be doing fine. She was cooking and cleaning, just like normal. Yesterday she was re-admitted to the hospital where she passed away. As the words came out of Olu's mouth, the room fell silent. I felt like my breath was taken away. You could just feel the grief in the room. I could tell from Olu's face and voice how hard it was to tell everyone. Tears built up in my eyes, as that question kept popping into my mind. Why? It is another question that I will never have all the answers to. Chickenpox? I had chickenpox, my brothers had chickenpox, my friends had chickenpox... I don't know all the details, or the actual cause of death. There could be more to her situation than we were told. But I had so many thoughts running through my head. I remember when I heard about malaria for the first time. I did not really know what it was, and had certainly never had it before. I was told how cheap it was to cure malaria and that it was kind of like having the flu, but yet I was hearing stories of children in Africa who were dying from it every day. I kept asking "why?" Today it was not malaria. It was chickenpox. I know what it is like to have chickenpox, but I also know what it is like to watch them go away. Why did this girl not have the resources to get better? I wish I had the answers. I am beginning to see the direct effects that war and poverty can have on people. Is the question "Why can't we help?" or "Why don't we?"

On a more positive note... I had three students stay after school today for me to help them with their homework!! This is a HUGE deal!! I have been telling my students over and over again to please see me during recess or after school if they need help. Several of the students never turn in homework, and it is really hurting their grade. I have realized that some of the students never do their homework because there is never anyone at home to help them. Some of them don't have the time or the resources to do it at home. So... I have made myself available during recess and after school. I was talking to the first grade teacher about this, and she said they will never come during their free time. I asked, "Why?" She said, "because they don't want to spend the extra time in the classroom." I have been determined to motivate and encourage them to come. This afternoon, as I was packing up my things, one little boy in my class came up to me and asked if I would help him with his homework. I almost started jumping up and down. I sat down with him and we did it together. There were about 10 children watching from the window. Some of them even came in the room to see what we were doing. After we finished, I was locking my door, and two more boys in my class came up to me. They asked if I would help them too. I unlocked the door and we went back in the room. I was sooo excited! They each left with a big smile on their faces and thanked me on their way out the door. The really exciting part is... this is the first homework assignment that two of the boys have ever turned in this year. As I was leaving, I went by the first grade teachers room and told her. She was shocked, and asked me what I said to get them to stay and ask for help! It didn't take much... They just needed an extra push. I was so glad that the day ended on such a positive note.

No comments:

Post a Comment